I meant to post this last weekend. . .
On Saturday, October 13th at 7:15 a.m. we had our first "feel-able" earthquake since moving to AK. (I say feel-able because today Alaska has had 20 recorded earthquakes so far. . . none of which we have felt but several within 60 miles of us) Last Saturdays Earthquake was recorded as a 4.5 and was located about 60 miles NorthWest of where we live.
Apparently it was the buzz at the local Youth Basketball game. . . where we first learned about. Why? Because we all slept right through it. The kids were disappointed that they weren't awake to see things shake, rattle, and roll. With our bedrooms in the basement we've been told that we will be less liken to be shaken awake.
Another part of the Alaska Adventure!
At the kids school in additional to the standard Fire drill they have Moose drills, Bear drills, Plane drills (if a plane were to crash into the school or property), Lock-down drills, and Earthquake drills. Phew! Funny how they spend all this time trying to protect our kids from the dangers of the world and yet insist on sending them out for recess even when it is -20 below (I'm not kidding, that is the school policy, outdoor recess is to be held unless it BELOW -20)
2 comments:
I didn't even realize there were earthquakes in Alaska. Hannah really wants to see a picture of your earthquake. And dude - 20 below would really make your lungs hurt. I remember breathing air in Sugar City that burned my lungs and nose. How will you keep the kids warm... a sherpa coat?
You don't seem as nervous as I would be living in a place with that many quakes. YIKES!! 20 below is nothing! I wore shorts to school on those days - HA! (but we didn't have recess in high school). Poor kids. I like Heather's idea for outerwear. Very funny Heather!
Post a Comment