Thursday, December 27, 2007

Beyond Scary

Rumor has it when it is -10 face masks are a must for recess. So I decided to splurge the 2.99 at get them each one. Aren't they a scary looking bunch?

This cold isn't effecting them a bit. I drove to the school a few days ago to pick them up. It had been -7 earlier that day and they had gone out for recess. In the spirit of a loving mother, I decided I would meet them at the school and save them from the winter chill. Well, I sat in the van and waited and waited and waited. My boys were the very LAST three kids out of the school. Where I was parked I could see them but they couldn't easily see me. So I just sat and watched them as they walked down the path towards me having the time of their lives sliding down a little slope on their snowpants. I watched as they would turn and run back up the slope and slide again and again and again. It was obvious that they weren't scurrying home to get out of the cold. When they FINALLY made it to the van, I rolled down my window to say hi.
"What are you doing here mom?" Tanner asked.
"I thought I'd come and pick you up today," I replied
"Why?" asked Sam
"Well, it is cold today," I exclaimed.
"It is?"
All three of them looked at me like I was out of my mind. I would think that any sane person, after evaluating the weather, would agree with me that anything below 10 degrees is cold, really cold. But I'm not convinced that it is my sanity is that is in question. I'm the mom who insists that my silly boys wear long sleeved shirts UNDER their favorite t-shirts that they wear to school, I make them wear socks, and I draw the line at NO shorts at school when the weather is below 40 (much to Sam's dismay). . . and all in the spirit of keeping warm in Alaska during the winter. Call me crazy. . . but if the shoe fits I'll happily wear it, especially if it is rated for -45!


Well, that may just be the last time I pick the boys up from school on account of it being cold outside. So bring on the face masks.



Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Alison said...

Wow! I can't believe you've had such cold weather! We hit -10 last night and it's so miserable. The furnace runs all night! But glad that we have a warm house. Love the face masks!

Heather said...

I can't even believe it is so cold and that they make the kids go out in it. Your boys will grow some thick skin to survive the winters. That's awesome! I love your story about picking them up for school. That's classic!