Saturday, December 11, 2010

I Double Dog Dare Ya. . .

Last week I got a call from the school.  It was Mrs. Jordan, Hyrum's Kindergarten teacher.

M. J.:  Mrs. Bacon it's Mrs. Jordan.  I just wanted to let you know that the boys will be a little later than usual getting home.

Me:  Thanks, I appreciate the call.  (I just assumed that C or T had forgotten little H.  and had double backed to pick him up.)

M. J.:  I have Hyrum here in Nurse Cottle's office.  While waiting at the parent pick up, Hyrum stuck out his tongue and it got stuck to the pole.

[here is where I'm sure she expected concern and empathy]

Me:  Laughing.  Laughing.  Laughing.  More Laughing.   I just could get the image of my Hyrum's tongue frozen to the pole, the panic in his eyes, the funny sounding pleas for help.  It was all to Christmas Story-ish for me.   When I finally stopped laughing I commented, "Mrs. Jordan, apparently I have failed to educate my Kindergartner on proper cold weather etiquette."

M. J. laughed:  Don't you worry, we'll be going over all of that first thing tomorrow in class.  

The Nurse did her magic and bandaged him up and a few minutes later when the boys arrived home I heard the story told and retold and retold again.  My favorite part from Christian and Tanner, "And Mom, we went back to to spot, and guess what?  Some of Hyrum's tongue was still there.  It was so cool."

Hyrum, of course, is not the first to get his tongue stuck on a pole at Ravenwood; but to his credit he is the first to keep it there long enough for the Nurse to run into the school, get some warm water and return.  

When I questioned him later about his choice to stick his tongue out he replied, "Mom, it's not the first time I've stuck my tongue out on things, it is just the first time its gotten stuck."  Hopefully it is his last.  If not, next time I want a picture!

3 comments:

Brittney said...

Oh, that is hilarious! Poor kid, hope his tongue is feeling better soon!

Deirdre said...

Hilarious! Now, a really great school nurse would have at least taken a photo on her cell phone before freeing him:)

Alison said...

Oh no! That is too funny! I love it! Thanks for the laugh. Cute, cute Hyrum. I hope his tongue has recovered. I would love to see a photo too, darn it! :)