After my annual summer time reading of Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury, I felt like summer had truly begun and I wanted to capture every minute of it. At the same time I was reading chapters of Mitten Strings For God by Katrina Kenison (thanks Kari for reminding me that this book was on my to read list). The blending of those two books reaffirmed in my mind that I wanted our kids to live summer. . . to truly live every moment of summer. So we've dug out the football and the basketballs, we've pumped up the bike tires and greased the chains, we've cleaned out the camelbaks and laced up the hiking shoes, we've pulled out the sleeping bags and dusted off the cookstove, we've pulled the blockout blinds and read chapter after chapter and chapter of Fablehaven, we'vd looked at Moose & avoided Bears, we've learned new card games and made all sorts of crazy crafts, AND we've locked up the TV and said goodbye to the XBOX.
My goal is to make it through the entire summer without the TV. I have it on good authority that these painful weaning days will end. That my children will relish the time they have together. That minds will open. That ideas will flow. That summer will run through their veins.
And if not. . . I hear that the Fall Season of PBS looks promising.
4 comments:
Love this post! You are inspiring to me! We have just been through our first official week of summer and I have had similar thoughts. I am going to move to action. You're awesome Steph! Thanks for posting this.
I love this post! The best I've read in a while. You are a skillful writer and a wise mother. Thank you for the inspiration!
Don't forget the Olympics are on in August too! :) Except for the Curious George episode so Mom can take a shower each morning, we're not going to be watching much either. We're not going to waste one moment of swimming fun while living in Cali! We love hearing from you and seeing what new adventure the Bacons take on!
Love,
Brittney
It was Mitten Strings From God, a gift from Deirdre, that gave me the idea for meal sharing which you quickly agreed to when I told you about it. I loved every week that you and I did "dinner share" for almost 5 years.
Still missing your pizza rolls,
Angie
Post a Comment