Monday, May 19, 2008

Pop-Up Trailer

Eric and I have been talking for years about becoming Pop-Up Trailer owners. Setting up two tents and cramming everything into the Odyssey at times seemed overwhelming. Now that we live in Alaska and the roaming wild Bears are a reality, the deal was sealed. We were on the lookout.

Every MWF this winter I played basketball with some women at the church. One day I mentioned I wanted a pop-up trailer. A friend, Kristi asked, "You really want a pop-up trailer?" I was a bit taken back. . . I couldn't tell if she thought we were silly. I was relieved when she went on to say that they were selling their pop-up trailer. She gave me the specs and I was immediately so excited. But there was a glitch. Isn't there always a glitch. They had promised someone first dibs on the trailer . . . and being honest people felt a loyalty to that promise.

So we waited on pins and needles. This was the pop-up of our dreams. TWO KING sized pop-out beds with a kitchen and wrap around seating at the dinner table. Ahhh.

Well, a couple of weeks ago I got a phone call. It was Kristi. The original someone couldn't come and see the trailer and had suggested that if they had others that were interested to go ahead and show it. With check book in hand I went, I looked, I bought, and then I called Eric to tell him that his usually frugal, penny pinching, tight wad wife slapped down 3000 big ones without blinking an eye. And suddenly we became Pop-Up Trailer owners.

Aren't the pink curtains HIP?

We can easily fit our family around the table and our four little boys on one of the beds. We joke that whoever is being the "naughtiest" has to sleep on the edges. That way if a meandering bear comes by and swipes at the trailer. . .

The boys asked Eric if they could have a little campout. So we popped it up, figuring it would be great practice for this weekend, and let the boys sleep in it for a night.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Deirdre said...

Sounds like it was meant to be:-)

A pop-up is our dream too...someday!

Rachel Goodwin Williams said...

What a great purchase! I still remember when I was kid begging mom and dad to sleep in the back of our new station wagon. I thought it was the coolest thing ever that me and two siblings had a slumber party in there.

Smedley Family said...

Have fun this weekend. Let us know if/when you do it again.