Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Whole Wheat Bread (100%)

Whole Wheat Bread/mom’s k-tec recipe

5 cups hot water
3 T. lemon juice
2/3 c. sugar
4 t. salt
5 cups whole wheat flour
2 ½ T. yeast
½ c. vital wheat gluten
6 cups whole wheat flour


Combine water, lemon juice, sugar, and salt in mixer (like a bosch or k-tec). Mix. Add 5 cups whole wheat flour, yeast, and vital wheat gluten. Mix until yeast is moistened. Scrape the sides of the bowl. Add more flour until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Put on lid and mix for 10 minutes. Take out and shape into bread pans, let rise 20-30 minutes. Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes. Makes five loaves.

(this is a super easy bread recipe that only has to rise once!! wahoo. wahoo. a perk to this recipe is that it doesn't call for any oil. add flour (you don't even need to measure) until the dough leaves the side of the mixing bowl clean while mixing. the best way to preserve is to put loaves in freezer. loaves do well for about 2 days on the counter. . . otherwise keep frozen. if in a rush i'll throw a frozen loaf in the microwave for 2 minutes.)

8 comments:

Smedley Family said...

Even though you gave this to me, I am so impressed that you don't hoard such a good recipe! It's a yummy one everyone! :)

shauna said...

Thank you, thank you!!!

Alison said...

I dreamed about your bread last night Steph! I was going to ask you for the recipe this morning so I was so excited to see you posted it! Thank you!!!

Mary O said...

The wheat needs to be Hard WHITE wheat. From Steph's mom who gave Steph the recipe. The wheat makes even more difference than the gluten. Enjoy!

Rachel Clare said...

I'm so excited to try this!! I've been looking for a good whole wheat recipe for a long time. As soon as we get home, I'm trying it!!

MRJK said...

I am tired of pretending I like the taste/aroma of wheat bread better than white. Am using good old (quite)hard red winter wheat. Can you tell me how white is different in flavor, give me hope?

Steph and Eric said...

who are you mrjk? i'll email you all the reasons to use hard white wheat.

MRJK said...

Stephanie, I am Margaret Kitterman (dmkskitterman@hotmail.com) Christine/Roger sent us the link to your blog. Thanks!