Do you ever have those moments where you seriously wonder about your competency as a mother?
Like when you hear your little one cry in the middle of the night and think to yourself, "Well he'll just have to cry it out and go back to sleep," only to discover in the morning that the poor little thing had thrown up? Or when a toddler mumbles something that you just smile or say no to, only to have the interpretation click a few hours later and you realize what an incredible thought or idea that you had earlier discredited as babbling. Or when you have your newborn cradled in your arms and take a corner too tight and bump his little head, or clip a finger tip while cutting their fingernails, or (need I go on?) . . .
Oh yeah, I'm just remembering when I sunburned poor little Hyrum when we was just days old. I'm sure time, fortunate for me, has erased several of the silly things I've done.
This is the latest in my long list of silly mothering moments. . . (see pictures below) H. Warner still has thrush. We were told to give him this Gentian Violet which is famous for being bright purple and staining anything it touches. . . directions: apply to his mouth and to his feeding source (me). I think I absurdly went overboard on my personal application and after just one feeding this is the result. We fondly call him our purple Ronald McDonald. . .


8 comments:
Little H. Warner is darling. He's changed since the last pictures you sent of him, even without the violet. I sit here and feel bad he won't be a newborn when we get to really see him for the first time. I can hardly wait. Do you think by the 28th his Ron McDonald will be gone?
What a sweet boy, purple and all! That makes me laugh. Fun pictures to show him one day. Hope the thrush gets all cleared up. I'm sure it's not too fun for him, or you!
I know what you mean about the unfit mother stuff. I think I've done all of those things you mentioned to my own kids too....that's why we're not given any long-term memory retention until at least the age of 4. :) You're doing great. I wish we could spend some time with you and your family again. It's amazing, I miss the snow. We're a balmy 72 today and it's not going to get colder anytime soon. It doesn't quite feel like the holidays...but it's nice not freezing either. :)
Oh Steph... I love you! What a happy color of purple. :) I think we've all had our moments of wondering what ever qualified us to be mothers. The blessing is that kids forget most of our silly mistakes and they still love us forever.
I am laughing so hard right now! I hope the thrush soon passes. That is classic.
Oh, poor little guy and poor little you! Thrush just doesn't sound like fun. I can so relate to the unfit mother stuff. So glad I'm not the only one with months (years in my case) of these feelings! You are nothing but GREAT!
Too funny! Reminds me of Charlie and the Choclate Factory, when Veruca Salt turns into a giant blueberry. Hope things get better soon.
I love these pics. I'm half surprised Eric didn't have one to match! He was the number 1 culprit of goofiness when it came to our pics in High School.
Post a Comment