Remember the post on how I have super senses? . . .
Last Tuesday night I went upstairs to get something before going to bed. I immediately smelled something "sour" and went investigating. I smelled the sink, the dining room, the counters, the stove (noticing to my delight that Eric had cleaned it while doing the dinner dishes). . . at some point I realized just how OCD I was acting and convinced myself to go to bed.
Well, the next morning the boys came into my bedroom to tell me that there was stinky smoke in the house. Immediately I knew that they were smelling what I had smelled last night. (A "Phew-I'm-Not-Crazy-After-All" Moment.) I went upstairs and was greeted by that same overwhelming sour smell only this time it was EVERYWHERE. While searching the house, the boys took refuge in the garage. . . the only non-stinky place they could find . . .
Can you guess what it was? Sure enough, a knob on the stove must have been bumped during the previous nights cleaning and natural gas had been pouring into the house for the past 12 hours (good thing the bedrooms are in the basement or we would have woken up feeling more than just groggy from lack of sleep).
It was a challenge to air out the house. The boys wanted breakfast burritos, and I being fearful of lighting anything in a house full of natural gas, convinced them to have cheerios instead. I opened up several of the windows and all of the doors. . . but Hyrum kept informing me that it was "freez'in outside" and shutting the doors for me.
During Eric's lunch break I called and ask if he had smelled anything earlier that morning. He replied that he hadn't smelt a thing. I laughed and said, "Well, it looks like we each have our own jobs .. . you earn the money and I'll keep the kids from blowing up." Seems fair to me.
3 comments:
I am so very happy that your sniffer is working and that your house didn't blow up. Always a good thing.
What a great job Steph - I hope you succeed in making sure the house doesn't blow up. That situation is kinda scary though - eh! And your kiddos have some good sniffers too.
Holy Cow! That is scary. I'm glad you were all safe! Sounds like you have a great nose!
Post a Comment