Over the past week I've been corresponding with the Lactation Specialist at Alaska Regional Hospital. For some reason nursing had just not clicked with this little one. . . or perhaps it was the clicking that was the problem. Warner was born with a tight tied tongue and clicks when he eats whether nursing or bottle. I always thought that the clicking, which my other babies did occasionally, was cute until another mother in the mother's lounge said that perhaps it was because he was not latching on correctly. Suddenly I began to question if I had been doing things wrong all along.
So I came home and looked up a bunch of things online. Was it his tongue? Was it the latch? And why was I STILL SO sore. I decided to email Martha at ARH and ask. Long story short, on her advise we made an appointment with the Pediatrician where Warner got his tongue clipped and we discovered he had Thrush. All is well. Thanks to time and medicine are both doing so much better.
One thing I learned through all of this was the power of relativism. I called one of my sisters one day to ask questions about when she had some of the same nursing struggles. Hers were by FAR worse than mine. Later that day I wrote to the Lactation Consultant updating her on my condition and after briefly telling her about my sister said, "Perspective has a healing power all its own." And it does.
2 comments:
Yikes! I hope things get better. My sister just had my nephew's tongue clipped 2 weeks ago and he's 6 mo. old! Her pediatrician told her not to do it, but she got a 2nd opinion and is so glad she had it done. I hope the thrush is going away too!!
That is a great quote about perspective having a healing power. So true! I hope the nursing thing gets easier soon. I still admire you for being so brave to attempt in the first place. ;)
Post a Comment