Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Hoarfrost


Hoarfrost: n. Frozen dew that forms a white coating on a surface. Also called white frost.
There are perks to Alaska Winters. For example, last winter when I was too lazy to walk a baby bottle upstairs in the middle of the night, I simply opened our bedroom door leading to the backyard and placed the bottle on the deck where it froze solid.
The biggest perk and most amazing beauty is hoarfrost. It is absolutely incredible.
Today while walking home from school with the boys and a few friends, I overheard them talking about the hoarfrost.
"That stuff is cool," commented a little boy (he just moved here from Tuba City, Arizona).
"Yup, its frosting," replied Hyrum.
And you know what? He's right.
(another funny. I have a drying rack that I pull out in the laundry room at least once a year, usually when I'm geared up to save the planet and conserve energy. My ploy to end global warming for the year began and ended yesterday. Tanner, this morning, was on a quest to find clean jeans and I directed him to the laundry room. A few minutes later I hear him holler, "Are the jeans on the MANGER clean?" Tis the season.)

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I am learning more and more about Alaska. My sister moved to Anchorage in October. It is going to be a long winter for her as she adjusts. I may point her in your direction for you to point out the perks. PS if you don't recognize my married name you may recognize Carrie Owen.