Sunday, July 20, 2008

Bacon

It was November 1997, and Eric and I had broken up for about the thirteenth time. I was driving to the Middle School where I taught English to a fantastic, frustrating, full of energy group of 7th graders. While in my stylish Volkswagon Fox, I was listening to the radio when the DJs opened up a discussion on the importance of Gratitude during this season of Thanks.

"We'll who isn't grateful for bacon?" one DJ immediately asked.

What!?! That was the one thing I didn't want to be thinking about. Bacon. Really? Of all the things in the entire world that DJ really he picked BACON!?!
Those two went on for about fifteen minutes about why they both just loved, loved, loved bacon. How life wouldn't be the same without bacon. How the world needed bacon.
All that talk about Bacon got me thinking. Was I grateful for bacon? for Bacon?

It took some time for me to really decide on that. A year to be exact. Eric and I were married that following Thanksgiving. And yes, to this day, I can still say that I am grateful for Bacon.

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

Awwww . . . what a nice post. You are right you kids have an awesome hero to look up to!

On a side note - I abhor Bacon - no offense!

Mary O said...

Eric is one lucky man and you are one awesome wife/human being.

Greg said...

We (Jess and I) like bacon (lowercase) too. And I think Mary O's comment is poetic.

The Crabtree Chronicles said...

Mmmmm.....bacon. And we sure do love Bacon too. Bacon bits are pretty nice as well. And the great thing is that you are doing your part to make sure that last name continues on....and grows in numbers. :)