Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Spatula Club




On Monday I went over to a new friends house. Jodi is her name. She has one of the cheeriest people I know . . . just full of zing and oozing with happiness. It is wonderful to be around her. When I was in her kitchen I noticed a jar full of colored spatulas. There were reds ones, blue ones, yellow ones, a brown one. . . . I commented to Jodi, "You must like spatulas."

Jodi then shared with me this great tradition she does with her sister. Some years ago they started collecting colored spatulas from Williams Sonoma. Each year as they come out with new seasonal colors one sister will buy two, keep one and send the other to their sister. So they truly have a beautiful boquet of this quirky collectable (which in and of itself I think is a great way to remember your sister). But the "spatula club" as they call it goes further that nostalgic beauty. When one sister comes to visit the other, the visiting sister must hide all of the colored spatulas before she leaves. Then over the next few weeks or months, the sister will find all her spatulas all over the house and think of her sister. . . finding them perhaps in a book, a game, linens, a drawer here or there.

Isn't that sweet?

I want to start a spatula club. Do you collect any fun things like this? Any great ideas?

2 comments:

AKmamaof4 said...

Okay, now I get it. I was wondering what the heck you guys were talking about in basketball about spatulas. Love it!

Alison said...

Love those spatulas! That is a fabulous sister idea. They must have a lot of fun! It's a cute picture of the two of you!